Stewart County Historical Commission
The Stewart County Historical Commission (SCHC) owns eleven structures around the Courthouse Square in Historic Lumpkin. Our mission is to revitalize this district using our properties as an example and catalyst for the community.
The success of work on the Bedingfield Inn 50 years ago spurred similar projects and community revitalization throughout Georgia and the Southeast. Historic preservation remains a powerful community-building economic tool.
The Carter Butts Memorial Bicycle Ride and Trail is a recreation resource for Stewart County and is enjoyed by cyclists from far and wide. Income from our annual festival and bike ride provides much of the annual operating expenses for the SCHC. Any additional income is applied to our restoration and preservation projects. We greatly appreciate financial and participatory support
Help Support our Work
Your generous donation will help to fund our mission!
Five Year Plan (2021-2026)
The goal of this plan is to restore all our properties for uses such as commercial rental, touring, community, and SCHC self-operations. These are the restoration projects and the funding required for each.
- 1898 Art Gallery Project: Old Cherry’s Drug Store and the Old Post Office join three brick buildings into one complex. The ground floor is currently used as an art gallery and community space. The second floor is to be developed as four apartments. Restoration work would include new double-hung windows, a rear awning, and an ADA restroom. Financial need $575,000.
- 1894 Singer Company: This 2-building complex received full exterior restoration and partial interior restoration, with two ADA compliant restrooms, in 2020. A second phase, planned to complete the interior restoration, includes new heat-and-air systems, new lighting, and an additional ADA restroom. Financial need $165,000.
- Singer Company 2nd floor apartment: This separate project (and budget) will build a second-floor apartment withfull facilities in existing space. Estimated cost $65,000.
- 1893 City Library/Theatre Building: Project is to include roof and decking replacement, restoration of front woodwork, reinstallation of rear exterior awning, renovation of interior, installation of central heat-and-air system, and installation of 2nd floor bath. Financial need $175,000.
- 1892 Dr. Hatchett’s Drugstore Museum: Restoration work to include a new central heat-and-air system, exterior and interior painting, a reconditioned restroom, and secure rear entry. Financial need $62,300.
- 1836 Bedingfield Stagecoach Inn: Restoration work to include exterior painting, replacement of exterior shutters, increased exterior lighting, and restoration of the formal garden and signage. Financial need $96,300.
- 1848 Lynch Dog-Run Log Cabin: Needs minor roof repair and re-chinking of log joints. Financial need $42,000.
- 1907 Old Stewart County Jail: This is the start and finish point for the Carter Butts Memorial Bike Trail and serves as the headquarters for the annual Bicycle Ride. Planned work includes restoration of the front living areas, removal of a modern addition on the west side, installation of a new standing-seam metal roof, and complete rewiring. Financial need $195,000.
- 1910 Mathis General Store: This building, currently beside the Old Jail, will be moved to the rear of the lot. Project will include reconstruction of the front porch, rear steps and awning, new electrical service, basic interior work, and a new ADA restroom. Financial need $93,500.
- New Pedestrian/Bicyclist/Guest Rest Station: This all-brick building, to be located on current site of Mathis General Store, will be able to handle large community events. Project includes full-service ADA compliant bathrooms, a common greenspace for small gatherings, weather protection for bicyclists and pedestrians, and EV charging stations. Financial need $960,000.
Total estimated cost for all listed projects: $2,429,100.00
We greatly appreciate your participation and continued support of these projects to bring increased vitality to downtown Lumpkin.
Donations can be made online or by mailing a check to:
Stewart County Historical Commission, Inc.
P.O. Box 818
Lumpkin, Georgia 31815